Blog Commenting Is About Reach
With as much as we have on us to build a successful online business, the last thing we need to be doing is wasting time. Time is money. One of the places we need to make sure we’re being effective in is link building through blog commenting. Leaving comments on blogs that don’t allow us to engage their readers is a waste of time. Oh sure, you’ll still probably get the link but what you really want is to join a community.
Toward this end, here are my 7 tips for successful blog commenting.
1. Comment on blogs that are large and active but not too large. If they’re too large it’s very hard to be heard when commenting.
2. Read the post and other comments.
3. Engage the commenters with a well thought out comment or opinion.
4. Check to be notified when follow-ups are posted. You can always opt out later.
5. If notified, go look at new comments and see if anybody replied to your comment. I believe WordPress will show you the comment in the email it sends but other sites will only say a response or comment was made in a comment thread you’ve subscribed to.
6. If not, try commenting on another post and see if the same happens.
7. If the same happens or if you’re attacked for some reason don’t engage them. Take your backlink and move on.
Patience Is A Virtue?
I know the gurus will tell you to not use a site URL when you comment and to be patient with this process but here are my thoughts.
A “club” where a gaggle of people just talk back and forth to each other is not going to help your reach. If you want to spend months trying to be heard that’s on you but don’t complain about wasting time in the future.
I’ve commented on hundreds of blogs and I’ll tell you the only ones that have helped me reach more potential visitors have been the ones where they appreciate an insightful comment no matter who left it. The ones where they consistently ignore you are of no use to you at all.
Two tools I think can help you to locate and leave comments on blogs or sites of value to you are Fast Blog Finder and Link Assistant. Both of these have free or trial versions you can use to try them out.
I use Fast Blog Finder myself and think it’s a great tool in my arsenal. The only problem I have with it is I am primarily a mac user and I have to install this on the PC side of my mac to use it. I’ve used Link Assistant as well and feel it works equally well for those with a mac.
Let me be clear that these are not spamming software or autocommenting software. They merely help you find blogs related to your niche. Once you find the place to leave a comment it’s up to you to use it responsibly.
If you follow the Link Assistant link, know that you’ll have to select Link Assistant at the header of the site to be taken there.
Talk To Me
If you’ve had success using one tool or method please leave me a comment so we can all learn from it. This business is tough enough without trying to go it alone.